Will your plane be landing in Changi Airport first? Or maybe you just happen to live near Changi Airport but wish to go to Tioman Island?
There are numerous options to get from Changi Airport to Tioman Island – by bus, a private car service, the train as well as multiple combinations of those!
In this post, we’ll cover all the options so you can see which are the best ways for you to travel from Changi Airport to Tioman Island!
First of all, to get to Tioman Island, you’ll have to take transport from Changi Airport to either Mersing Jetty or Tanjung Gemok Jetty to catch a ferry to Tioman Island.
The ferry ride takes 1.5 to 2 hours so take that into consideration when choosing your transport mode from Changi Airport.
You’ll also have to factor in possible traffic congestion and some time to buy your ferry tickets, pay the marine park fees, etc.
It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that hiring a private car service to pick you up from Changi Airport straight to Mersing or Tanjung Gemok Jetty involves the least transits!
The journey takes 3 hours, more or less.
Why You Should Book A Private Car From Changi Airport To Tioman Island:
- Unlike for public transport, you won’t have to sit with or wait for strangers
- Don’t have to alight from the car, even at immigration
- Affordable rates
- Service is available 7 days a week, 24 hours a day
- Driver will be waiting for you even your flight is delayed
- Comfortable, spacious and well-maintained cars to choose from
- Reliable drivers who are very familiar with the route to Mersing Jetty or Tanjung Gemok Jetty
- Easy online book process
We suggest you to book a private car service through SGMYTAXI.
There’s 4 steps in total if you want to take a bus from Changi Airport to Tioman Island.
Needless to say, the first part is getting into Johor Bahru from Singapore!
Advantage Of Taking Bus From Changi Airport To Tioman Island:
- Affordable (<SGD $10)
- Frequent buses
Disadvantage Of Taking Bus From Changi Airport To Tioman Island:
- Not a direct stop at the customs. Have to walk a bit.
- No 24-hour service
- Travelers with light luggage
Read also: How To Go To Tioman Island From Singapore
The TS1 cross-border service by Transtar Travel is a convenient way to shuttle between Changi Airport and JB CIQ.
Buses come at regular intervals ( Almost hourly). Board the bus at Changi Airport Terminal 2 Coach Bay at the Terminal 2 Arrival Hall.
The bus drops you 100-150 meters from the customs so you’ll have to walk the rest of the way. Don’t forget to take all your luggage!
Bus No.: TS1
Bus Route: Changi Airport Terminal 2 > Changi Airport Terminal 4 > JB CIQ Coach Bay
Departure Point 1: Arrival Hall Coach Bay Lot 9/10 of Changi Airport Terminal 2
Departure Point 2: Arrival Hall Coach Bay Lot 8 of Changi Airport Terminal 4
Duration: ~1.5 hours
Ticket Price: SGD $10-12
Bus Schedule: 8:15am to 11:15pm
Book a bus from Changi Airport to Johor Bahru CIQ.
- Wait at the pick-up point at least 10 minutes before the scheduled departure time.
- Schedules and routes are subject to change without notice due to traffic conditions.
- See the latest Transtar Travel TS1 schedule.
- Call Transtar Travel (+65-6297 9009) at least 1 day ahead to confirm your preferred departure time.
- Transtar Travel’s counter is open daily from 10:00 am – 7:00 pm at the Arrival Hall of Terminal 2.
Read also: How To Get To Tioman Island
With border formalities all done, you can proceed to the next leg of the journey – getting to Larkin Bus Terminal!
Because there is no direct bus from CIQ to Mersing/Tanjung Gemok Jetty.
CWL (Causeway Link) has regular buses between JB CIQ and Larkin Bus Terminal.
Bus No.: CWL
Bus Route: JB CIQ to Larkin Bus Terminal
Duration: <30 minutes
Ticket Price: <RM2
Bus Schedule: Every 10 -15 minutes from 6:30am to 11:00pm
Schedules are subject to change. See the latest schedule from JB CIQ to Larkin Bus Terminal.
Read also: How To Go To Tioman Island From Johor Bahru
A total of 5 bus operators provide the transfer from Larkin Bus Terminal, Johor Bahru to Mersing Bus Terminal.
It’s a short walk from Mersing Bus Terminal to Mersing Jetty.
However, none of the buses from Johor Bahru stop at Tanjung Gemok Jetty so if you do want to go there, you will have to hire a taxi at Mersing for the 35-minute drive.
- S&S International Express
- Causeway Link Express
Departure Point & Time: Johor Bahru Larkin Bus Terminal (Daily:7:25am to 11:00pm, every 1 to 3 hours)
Duration: ~2 hours and 40 minutes
Bus Price Range:
Adult: RM12.70 – RM17.60
Child: RM9.50 – RM17.60
How To Book A Bus From Larkin Bus Terminal To Mersing
Book a bus from Larkin Bus Terminal to Mersing.
You can get a ferry to Tioman Island from either Mersing Jetty or Tanjung Gemok Jetty.
Mersing Jetty is closer to Singapore and Johor Bahru with only one ferry operator.
The ferry schedule is often unpredictable until the day before due to the jetty’s susceptibility to the tides.
On the other hand, 39km from Mersing Jetty is Tanjung Gemok Jetty. This jetty has two ferry operators and ferries here are generally more punctual.
Regardless of the jetty the ferries depart from, they make 5 stops on Tioman Island:
- Genting Pier
- Paya Pier
- Tekek Pier
- Air Batang
- Salang Pier
A one-way crossing will take approximately 2 hours.
Every month, the ferry operators will release their updated ferry schedules.
Have a look at the latest Tioman Island ferry schedules before you make a booking.
One Way – RM35 (Adult), RM30 (Child)
Two Way – RM70-80 (Adult), RM60-70 (Child)
Tickets can be cheaper for Cataferry depending on the day you go but Bluewater Express ferry ticket prices are always fixed.
Marine Park Entrance Fee:
Pay this fee in Ringgit at the respective counter at Mersing Harbour Center or Tanjung Gemok Jetty.
|Age (years)||Malaysians (RM)||Foreigners (RM)|
Johor National Park Fee:
This fee is only applicable for those taking the ferry from Mersing Jetty:
|Age (years)||Malaysians (RM)||Foreigners (RM)|
- Plan your schedule accordingly so that you have ample time to reach the jetty 30 minutes before the allotted ferry departure time to settle the boarding process.
- Tickets sell out fast as public holidays and school holidays approach (That applies for both Singapore and Malaysian holidays!). Book in advance to avoid sell out!
- If you book any Tioman Island packages with GoIslands, these already include transport to and from the Tioman Island!
Read also: How To Get To Tanjung Gemok Jetty
There is no direct train route from Changi Airport to Mersing (or Tanjung Gemok Jetty).
The alternative is to take the train from Changi Airport MRT Station to an MRT station in Singapore – either Bugis or Singapore Flyer.
And then, you can take a bus to Mersing Jetty or Tanjung Gemok Jetty!
This is what you have to do once you touch down at Changi Airport in order to get to Changi Airport MRT Station (CG2):
- Walk to the station from Terminal 2. Follow the signs for “Train to the City” down to the basement of Terminal 2 where the MRT station is.
- From Terminal 3, use the underground walkway to get to the MRT station.
- From Terminal 1, take the Skytrain to Terminal 2 first.
- From Terminal 4, take the complimentary 24-hour Airport Shuttle Bus to Terminal 2 first.
- You can purchase tickets at the Changi Airport MRT Station
Advantage Of Taking Train From Changi Airport MRT Station To Singapore City MRT:
- Regular trains at every 10 minutes or so from 5:31am to 11:18pm
- Comfortable and air-conditioned
Disadvantage Of Taking Train From Changi Airport MRT Station To Singapore City MRT:
- Service doesn’t run 24 hours
- No designated racks for luggage
- If you are traveling light with small hand luggage
Read also: How To Get To Mersing Jetty
Option 1: Train From Changi Airport MRT Station To Bugis MRT Station
At Bugis MRT Station, there are 2 bus operators (KKKL Express and Discovery Tours) that provide the service from Singapore to Mersing Jetty/ Tanjung Gemok Jetty.
It’s a pretty short trip to transfer via MRT from Changi Airport to Bugis MRT Station.
Duration: 28 minutes
What you need to do is:
- Take the MRT from Changi Airport MRT Station to Tanah Merah for 8 minutes. Trains come at intervals of 10 minutes and the ride will cost you SGD $1-3.
- Transfer to East West line (green) once you’re at Tanah Merah. Take the MRT for another 18 minutes to Bugis MRT Station. Fare will cost between SGD $1-3 too.
Option 2: Train From Changi Airport MRT Station To Promenade MRT Station
From Singapore Flyer, you can take the WTS bus to Mersing Jetty or Tanjung Gemok Jetty to board a ferry to Tioman Island.
Duration: ~54 minutes
To get to Singapore Flyer:
- Take the MRT from Changi Airport MRT Station to Expo for 5 minutes. The trains come every 10 minutes and cost SGD $1-3.
- At Expo, catch the Downtown line (blue) to Promenade. This is a 40-minute journey that will cost SGD $1-3.
- Once at Promenade, it’s a 7-minute walk over to Singapore Flyer.
Read also: Tioman Snorkeling: For First-Time Travellers
Regardless of which jetty you wish to get to, prepare for a long journey of 3 to 5 hours. Especially if you’re traveling right before a public holiday!
If you want to take a bus from Singapore to Tanjung Gemok Jetty or Mersing Jetty, you have more than 5 different bus operators to choose from.
For direct buses to Tanjung Gemok Jetty, choose either Discovery Tours, KKKL Express or WTS Travel Tours. Or you can always take a taxi up to Tanjung Gemok Jetty once you arrive at Mersing!
Option 1: Bus From The Plaza Beach Road To Mersing Jetty/Tanjung Gemok Jetty
Transnasional is the only bus operator that stops at The Plaza. There are 3 services daily.
If you are coming from Changi Airport and plan to reach Mersing Jetty/ Tanjung Gemok on that day, this bus operator schedule has enough time for you to catch the bus to Tioman Island.
1. Bus Operator: Transnasional
Departure Point & Time: The Plaza at Beach Road (9:00am, 7:30pm and 10:00pm)
Singapore To Mersing Bus Terminal: SGD$33.90 (Adult/ Child)
Mersing Bus Terminal To Singapore: SGD$15.93 (Adult/ Child)
Option 2: Bus From Bugis MRT Station To Mersing Jetty/Tanjung Gemok Jetty
You’ll have 2 bus operators to choose from if you head to Bugis MRT Station. The bus depart very early in the morning, and you might not have enough time to rush from airport, hence, we strongly advise you to stay one night at Singapore
1. Bus Operator: KKKL Express
Departure Point & Time: Bugis MRT Exit D (6:30am)
Singapore To Mersing Bus Terminal/Tanjung Gemok Jetty: SGD$31 (Adult/ Child)
Mersing Bus Terminal/Tanjung Gemok Jetty To Singapore: SGD$31 (Adult/ Child)
2. Bus Operator: Discovery Tours
Departure Point & Time:
Bugis MRT Station (6:30am)
Singapore To Mersing Jetty/Tanjung Gemok Jetty: SGD$31 (Adult/ Child)
Mersing Jetty To Singapore: SGD$26 (Adult/ Child)
Tanjung Gemok Jetty To Singapore: n/a
Read also: Singapore To Tioman Package: All-inclusive Package For Fuss-free Trip To Tioman
Option 3: Bus From Golden Mile Tower To Mersing Jetty/Tanjung Gemok Jetty
If you choose to get a bus from Golden Mile Tower in Singapore, the respective bus operator is Starmart Express.
Starmart Express only offers a one-way service from Singapore to Mersing Jetty.
1. Bus Operator: Starmart Express
Departure Point & Time: Golden Mile Tower (6:30am)
Singapore To Mersing Jetty: SGD$35 (Adult/ Child)
Option 4: Bus From Singapore Flyer To Mersing Jetty/Tanjung Gemok Jetty
WTS may be the only bus operator that departs from Singapore Flyer to Mersing Jetty/ Tanjung Gemok Jetty but the time is not suitable if you’re coming straight from Changi Airport as you will likely miss the bus!
1. Bus Operator: WTS
Departure Point & Time: Singapore Flyers (6:30am)
Singapore To Mersing Jetty/Tanjung Gemok Jetty: SGD$21 (Adult/ Child)
Mersing Jetty To Singapore: SGD$21 (Adult/ Child)
Tanjung Gemok Jetty To Singapore: n/a
How To Book A Bus From Singapore To Mersing Jetty/ Tanjung Gemok Jetty
You can Book a bus from Singapore to Mersing Jetty or Tanjung Gemok Jetty online.
Read also: 27 Fun Things To Do In Tioman Island
Both Mersing Jetty or Tanjung Gemok Jetty have daily ferry services to Tioman Island.
Tanjung Gemok Jetty is roughly a 35-minute drive further up north from Mersing Jetty and unlike Mersing Jetty, has an additional ferry operator and pretty timely ferries.
Refer to the above session for more ferry to Tioman Island details.
Read also: Best Time To Visit Tioman Island
You have plenty of ways to travel between Changi Airport to Tioman Island.
The slowest transport method is to take the bus while the quickest way is through a private car service! And depending on your group size, the latter might be worth it!