It takes considerable effort to reach the idyllic Rawa Island from Changi Airport in Singapore!
But don’t let that stop you:
Getting to Rawa Island is simpler than it looks!
Especially if you take the time to consider all your available options!
In this very article, we will arm you with the knowledge you need to choose the most suitable mode of transport for your travel group!
Don’t let something as mundane as logistics get in the way of your precious holiday!
To begin with:
Make your way from Changi Airport across the border into Johor Bahru.
And then, keep going up north!
Until you get to Mersing Jetty where you can take a boat to Rawa Island!
If you arrange for a private car service to pick you up from the airport:
They can drive you into Johor Bahru, and right on to Mersing Jetty. This is typically a 3-hour journey.
No transits required!
Why You Should Book A Private Car From Changi Airport To Rawa Island:
- Don’t need to share the ride with strangers
- Saves your time having to wait for public transport
- Relax in a comfortable and spacious car that is well-maintained
- Convenient immigration clearance – don’t have to leave the car
- Reasonable rates
- Service is always available – any time and date
- Driver will wait for you even if you have a flight delay
- Safe – capable drivers who know the roads well
- Easy booking process online
When taking public transport from Changi Airport, it’s important that you get your flight times right!
There may not always be a bus available close to your arrival time!
Advantage Of Taking Bus From Changi Airport To Rawa Island:
- Cheapest mode of transport
- Comfortable if you don’t have too much luggage
- You don’t have to drive or worry about parking
Disadvantage Of Taking Bus From Changi Airport To Rawa Island:
- Transits (and walking) are unavoidable
- Very susceptible to delays
- Bus services are not available 24/7
- Solo travellers
- Travellers with minimal luggage
Read also: How To Get To Tioman Island
You cannot take a bus directly from Changi Airport to Mersing Jetty.
Instead, you’ll have to take a cross-border bus to Johor Bahru Sentral or JB CIQ first!
Bus Operator: Transtar Travel
Bus No.: TS1
Bus Route: Changi Airport Terminal 2 > Changi Airport Terminal 4 > JB CIQ Coach Bay
Departure Point 1: Arrival Hall Coach Bay Lot 9/10 of Changi Airport Terminal 2
Departure Point 2: Arrival Hall Coach Bay Lot 8 of Changi Airport Terminal 4
Duration: ~1.5 hours
Ticket Price: SGD $10-12
Bus Schedule: 8:15am to 11:15pm
Book a bus from Changi Airport to Johor Bahru CIQ.
Next, you’ll have to make your way over to Larkin Bus Terminal as this is where you can get a bus for Mersing Jetty!
Bus Operator: Causeway Link
Bus No.: CWL
Bus Route: JB CIQ to Larkin Bus Terminal
Duration: <30 minutes
Ticket Price: <RM2
Bus Schedule: Buses leave every 10-15 minutes between 6:30am and 11:00pm
See the latest bus schedule for JB CIQ to Larkin Bus Terminal.
From Larkin Bus Terminal, it’s a matter of choosing the right bus operator to suit your travel plans.
Regardless which bus operator, passengers will alight at Mersing Bus Terminal.
Which is a short walk of around 10 to 15 minutes from Mersing Jetty.
- S&S International Express
- Causeway Link Express
Of all the bus operators, Plusliner offers the most transfers daily.
Departure Point & Time: Johor Bahru Larkin Bus Terminal (Daily: 7:25am to 11:00pm, every 1 to 3 hours)
Duration: Around 2 hours and 40 minutes
Bus Price Range:
Adult: RM12.70 – RM17.60
Child: RM9.50 – RM17.60
How To Book A Bus From Larkin Bus Terminal To Mersing
Book a bus to Mersing Bus Terminal from Larkin Bus Terminal.
Arrange a boat transfer to Rawa Island with your respective Rawa Island resort.
And when you get to Mersing Jetty:
Look for the Rawa Island Resort Office or Alang’s Rawa Office to complete registration prior to departure.
The boat ride from Mersing Jetty to Rawa Island takes 30 – 40 minutes.
As with the buses, there are no direct train routes from Changi airport to Mersing Jetty.
However, it is possible to take the MRT to Singapore city first where there are direct buses to Mersing Jetty!
Read also: 15 Fun Things To Do In Rawa Island
After your flight touches down, proceed to Changi Airport MRT Station (CG2) via the following ways:
- From Terminal 1, ride the Skytrain to Terminal 2
- From Terminal 2, just follow the signage for “Train to the city” all the way down to the basement
- From Terminal 3, take the underground walkway to Terminal 2
- From Terminal 4, there is a complimentary 24-hour airport shuttle bus to Terminal 2
Buy tickets for a ride to the city at Changi Airport MRT Station.
Advantage Of Taking Train From Changi Airport MRT Station To Singapore City MRT:
- Affordable rates
- Trains every ~10 minutes from 5:31am to 11:18pm
- Trains are comfortable, clean and air-conditioned
- Many different stops in Singapore
Disadvantage Of Taking Train From Changi Airport MRT Station To Singapore City MRT:
- Not a 24-hour service
- No luggage racks
- Transfer (at Tanah Merah) is necessary to reach the city
- Travellers with small hand luggage
If you plan to take the bus from Singapore to Mersing Jetty:
There are several departure points scattered around Singapore:
- Bugis MRT Station
- The Plaza Beach Road
- Golden Mile Tower
- Singapore Flyer
Read also: How To Go To Rawa Island From Singapore
How To Get From Changi Airport MRT Station To Bugis MRT Station:
- Take the East West Line (green) from Changi Airport MRT Station (CG2) to Tanah Merah for 8-11 minutes. Fare costs SGD $1-3.
- At Tanah Merah station, take the East West Line (green) again but in the opposite direction (Tuas Link) to Bugis MRT Station. Around 17-18 minutes and fare of SGD $1-3.
Total Duration: 28 minutes
Total Cost: SGD $2-6
Then, from Bugis MRT Station, you can take the following bus operators:
- Discovery Tours
- KKKL Express
1. Bus Operator: Discovery Tours
Departure Point & Time: Bugis MRT Station @ 6:30am
Singapore to Mersing Jetty: SGD $31 (Adult/ Child)
Mersing Jetty to Singapore: SGD $26 (Adult/ Child)
2. Bus Operator: KKKL Express
Departure Point & Time: Bugis MRT Station Exit D Taxi Stand @ 6:30am
Ticket Price: SGD $31 (Adult/ Child)
Not too far from Bugis MRT Station, is another bus service that goes to Mersing Jetty.
How To Get To Transnasional The Plaza Beach Road From Changi MRT Station:
- Hop on the East West Line (green) from Changi Airport MRT Station (CG2) to Tanah Merah. Total of 2 stops for around 8-11 minutes. Fare costs SGD $1-3.
- Transit at Tanah Merah station via the East West Line (green) again but through the Tuas Link to Bugis MRT Station. 8 stops for around 17-18 minutes and a fare of SGD $1-3.
- Walk for 10 minutes from Bugis MRT Station to the Transnasional Singapore Bus Pickup Point.
Total Duration: 40-50 minutes
Total Cost: SGD $2-6
Once you reach The Plaza Beach Road, you only have to look out for one bus operator, Transnasional. There are 3 services daily.
Bus Operator: Transnasional
Departure Point & Time: The Plaza Beach Road @ 9:00am, 7:30pm and 10:00pm
Singapore to Mersing: SGD $33.90 (Adult/ Child)
Mersing to Singapore: SGD $15.93 (Adult/ Child)
Read also: Best Time To Visit Rawa Island
Be prepared to change MRT line a couple of times if you intend to take a bus from Golden Mile Tower to Mersing Jetty.
How To Get To Golden Mile Tower From Changi MRT Station:
- From Changi Airport MRT Station (CG2), take the East West Line (green) to Tanah Merah after 2 stops (11 minutes, SGD $1-3)
- At Tanah Merah, change to the Tuas Link (still the East West line) and ride for 4 stops until you reach Paya Lebar (Duration of 9 minutes, SGD $1-2)
- Walk for a minute to the Circle Line (orange) exchange at Paya Lebar. Take the Dhoby Ghaut link for 4 stops to the Nicoll Highway MRT Station. (8 minutes, SGD $1-3)
- Walk another 5 minutes to the Golden Mile Tower where you can take the Starmart Express bus to Mersing Jetty.
Total Duration: 34 minutes
Total Cost: SGD $3-8
Bus Operator: Starmart Express
Departure Point & Time: Golden Mile Tower @6:30am
Ticket Price: SGD $35 (Adult/ Child)
This option is a little risky as the bus only leaves early in the morning!
And it takes about an hour to get from Changi Airport to Singapore Flyer.
How To Get To Singapore Flyer From Changi Airport MRT Station:
- From Changi Airport MRT Station (CG2), take East West Line (green) for 11 minutes to Tanah Merah. SGD $1-3
- Change to the Tuas link (still East West Line) until the Bugis MRT station. 17 minutes, SGD $1-3.
- At Bugis MRT Station, walk for about a minute to the Downtown Line
- Take the Downtown Line (blue) for 2 minutes heading to Expo and alight at Promenade MRT Station. SGD $1-3
- Walk via Temasek Ave and Raffles Blvd to Singapore Flyer. 10 minutes and 800m.
Total Duration: 40-50 minutes
Total Cost: SGD $3-9
Bus Operator: WTS
Departure Point & Time: Singapore Flyer @6:30am
Ticket Price: SGD $21 (Adult/ Child)
Read also: How To Go To Rawa Island
Make arrangements with your chosen Rawa Island resort for a boat transfer to Rawa Island from Mersing Jetty.
Don’t forget to register at the Rawa Island Resort Office or Alang’s Rawa Office before boarding!
The duration for the boat ride is 30 – 40 minutes.
By now, you should have an excellent idea of how to get from Changi Airport to Rawa Island!
Anyone looking to keep their travel budget low should opt for the bus.
But if you want a really stress-free holiday, hire a private car instead!