If you happen to be in Johor, lucky you! This is one of the most easiest and convenient starting points to get to beautiful Tioman Island, a popular island getaway destination!
Simply take a ferry to Tioman Island from either Mersing Jetty or Tanjung Gemok Jetty.
While Mersing Jetty may technically be in Johor, it’s still a journey of about 3 hours.
Choose between the different transport methods in this list!
There are regular daily buses from Johor Bahru to Mersing Bus Terminal.
If you choose to take the bus from Johor Bahru, the departure point is located at JB Larkin Terminal.
Here are the 5 bus operators that offer a service between Johor Bahru and Mersing/Tanjung Gemok Jetty.
Plusliner does the most trips in a day out of all of these:
- S&S International Express
- Causeway Link Express
Departure Point & Time:
Johor Bahru Larkin Bus Terminal (Daily from 7:25am to 11:00pm, every 1 to 3 hours)
Mersing Bus Terminal
Estimated 2 hours and 40 minutes (129km)
Bus Price Range:
Adult: RM12.70 – RM17.60
Child: RM9.50 – RM17.60
Because the buses from Johor Bahru will not drop passengers off directly at Tanjung Gemok Jetty, you will have to take a taxi instead.
This is an additional 30-40 minutes’ travel time and costs around RM50-70 per trip.
After arrival at Mersing Bus Terminal, it is a short walk (under 15 minutes) to Mersing jetty where you can take a Tioman ferry.
Or you can take a taxi if you have a big group or baggage with you.
In the event that you are stuck in Mersing Jetty due to unfavorable tidal conditions, you can choose to take a ferry from Tanjung Gemok Jetty to Tioman Island instead.
Just make sure to call the Mersing Jetty centre to confirm the ferry schedule before you decide to get another ferry from Tanjung Gemok Jetty.
And if your original plan is to take Cataferry to Tioman Island, you should note that the sole departure point is from Tanjung Gemok Jetty.
So you will have to take a taxi from Mersing Bus Terminal for an additional 30-40 minutes to Tanjung Gemok Jetty.
Anyways, you can expect the ferry ride to take around 1.5 to 2 hours – doesn’t matter which jetty or ferry operator you choose.
There are two ferry operators that take passengers to and from Tioman Island:
1. Bluewater Express Ferry
- Departure from both Mersing Jetty and Tanjung Gemok Jetty.
- Average ferry condition
- Inaccurate sailing time
- Average service quality
- Cheaper ferry ticket
- Departs only from Tanjung Gemok Jetty.
- Good ferry condition
- Higher safety standard
- Accurate sailing time
- Good service
- Higher ferry ticket price
Tioman Island Ferry Ticket Price (2 Ways)
Bluewater Ferry Ticket: RM80 per adult, RM70 per child
Cataferry Ticket: RM70 per adult, RM60 per child
Tioman Island Ferry Ticket Price (1 Way)
Bluewater Ferry Ticket: RM35 per adult, RM30 per child
Cataferry Ticket: RM35 per adult, RM30 per child
Marine Park Entrance Fee:
Tioman Island is in Mersing Marine Park (a private property).
So visitors (including locals) that do not live close to the islands in the Marine Park need to pay a small entrance fee.
You can see the prices below:
|Age (years)||Malaysians (RM)||Foreigners (RM)|
Johor National Park Fee:
This particular fee is only applicable to passenger who is taking the ferry from Mersing Jetty To Tioman Island.
|Age (years)||Malaysians (RM)||Foreigners (RM)|
Departure Times Of Ferry To Tioman Island From Mersing/ Tanjung Gemok Jetty:
Schedule times vary on a monthly basis. Check the latest Tioman Ferry Schedule for both jetties before your trip.
There are typically several ferry trips per day from 7.00am to 5.00pm.
And during monsoon season, this frequency goes down to once a day or none at all.
Ferry Routes From Mersing/ Tanjung Gemok Jetty:
Regardless of which jetty (Mersing or Tanjung Gemok) or ferry operator you choose, there are 5 fixed places where you can alight at on Tioman Island:
- Genting Pier
- Paya Pier
- Tekek Pier
- Air Batang
- Salang Pier
Tips For Taking The Ferry From Mersing Or Tanjung Gemok Jetty To Tioman Island
- Most people prefer to take a ferry from Tanjung Gemok Jetty as the ferries tend to be more reliable.
- Cataferry only operates from Tanjung Gemok Jetty.
- Although you can buy your tickets at the jetty, you are encourage to book online instead if you are travelling during peak season (especially when both Malaysia and Singapore public holidays and school holidays)!
- Remember which Tioman Island pier your chosen accommodation is closest to! You do not want to miss your stop!
Advantage Of Taking Bus From Johor Bahru To Tioman Island
- This is usually the cheapest option to get from Johor Bahru to Mersing so you can board a ferry to Tioman Island!
- Bus schedule is more frequently you can have more choices.
- No need to worry about parking and car park fees.
- You don’t have to drive – just relax once you are onboard.
Disadvantage Of Taking Coach From Johor Bahru To Tioman Island
- Taking a bus or coach have some risks – any delays might cause you to miss your ferry!
- Queues to board the bus.
- There is most likely no fixed seating!
Best Suited To:
- Travellers with a flexible schedule.
- Those that travel light.
- Individuals who have a smaller budget.
Tips For Taking The Bus
- Bring a jacket onboard the bus – it can be chilly because of the air conditioner.
- Have some snacks and a bottle of water to tide you over the long journey.
- Keep your important documents (tickets and passport) safe at all times!
- The bus will drop you at Mersing Bus Terminal which is a 10-15 minute walk to Mersing Jetty.
If you do not mind a 2 to 2.5 hour drive (130km), you can get to Mersing from Johor Bahru via any of the two routes below:
Johor Bahru (via Laluan Persekutuan 3/AH18) – Kota Tinggi – Jemaluang – Mersing Harbour Centre – Mersing Jetty
View route details and map here: http://bit.ly/2JRYKzd
Johor Bahru (via Jalan Jemaluang/Laluan Persekutuan 3/AH18 for 14km) – Bandar Penawar (via Lebuhraya Senai-desaru/E22) – Kota Tinggi (via route 92 and 99) – Mawai (via Jalan Jemaluang/Laluan Persekutuan 3/AH18 again) – Mersing
View route details and map here: http://bit.ly/2YDvQpH
Mersing Jetty Details
Address: Jeti Penumpang Mersing, Jalan Abu Bakar, 86800 Mersing, Johor
Waze & Google Maps: Search for ” Jeti Penumpang Mersing ”
GPS Coordinates: N2 26.080 E103 50.349
When you reach Mersing, you can either:
- Park your car there by Mersing Jetty for about RM15/day (bring Ringgit for this!)
- Or continue your drive for another 35 minutes up north to reach Tanjung Gemok Jetty
Where To Park At Mersing Jetty
There are 4 places you can park your car around Mersing Jetty.
Carpark Locations At Mersing Jetty:
- Car Park A (http://bit.ly/2UzCwqH) – Car park behind the jetty (guarded).(Open in the early morning).
- Car Park B (http://bit.ly/2G7Z6g0) – Car park in front of R & R Plaza.
- Car Park C (http://bit.ly/2UzAJSl) – Mersing Jetty car park (guarded).(Open in the early morning too).
- Car Park D (http://bit.ly/2Gabv3a) – This car park is for Rawa Island Customers only (guarded).
You can try to book a place in advance here.
Or try your luck there. But beware if it’s a long weekend or public holiday!
Price of car park: Expect to pay RM15 per day.
Tanjung Gemok Jetty Details
Address: Terminal Ferry Tanjung Gemok, 26820 Rompin, Pahang
Waze: Search for “Tanjung Gemok”
Google Maps: Search for “Tanjung Gemok Ferry Terminal”
Where To Park At Tanjung Gemok Jetty
Over at this jetty, there is only one place you can park your car – Berjaya Jetty Car Park.
Location for jetty carpark: http://bit.ly/2P53n87
Address: Kampung Tanjung Gemok, 26820 Kuala Rompin, Pahang
Price: Expect to pay RM12 or RM15/day
Advantage Of Self-Driving From Johor Bahru To Tioman Island
- Don’t have to share your ride with strangers (unless you want to)!
- Don’t have to wait for anyone (besides members of your travel group).
- You can choose your own departure times.
- You can stop and rest anywhere and anytime if you need to.
- When your Tioman Island trip ends, you can leave immediately from the jetty – no need to wait for the bus!
Disadvantage Of Self-Driving From Johor Bahru To Tioman Island
- It can be a tiring journey if there are unforeseen delays.
- You have to find a parking spot and pay for parking fees!
- You car will most likely be under the sun and rain when you are having your holiday!
- Someone in your travel group will have to drive the car back to Johor Bahru after your trip.
Best Suited To:
- Families (especially with elders or young kids)
- Those familiar with driving in Malaysia
- Small groups
Want to completely forgot the inconvenience of driving or queuing for a bus?
Consider hiring a private car service from Johor Bahru to Mersing or Tanjung Gemok Jetty instead!
There are a couple of private car services available that can pick you up from anywhere in Johor Bahru and drop you off directly at Mersing Jetty or Tanjung Gemok Jetty!
Finding a car park during the weekends or school holidays can be a real struggle! With a private car service, you won’t have to worry!
Advantages Of Taking Private Taxi From Johor Bahru To Tioman Island
- You don’t have to join other travellers in long queues. This is more of a problem during public holidays and weekends too!
- Travel in comfort with plenty of legroom – especially if you have elderly members in your group!
- Pick up from your doorstep and at the time that is most convenient to you.
- The drivers are already familiar with the roads!
- Best of all, no need to worry about parking (or car park fees).
Disadvantages Of Taking Private Taxi From Johor Bahru To Tioman Island
- Expensive for travel groups smaller than 3 people.
What To Bring To Tioman
Obviously, you should bring all your tickets, reservation documents, passports, and etc.
But what if you need medicine or extra toiletries while on the island?
There are duty free stores and mini marts on Tioman Island but these depend heavily on shipments from the mainland.
So in bad weather, you might not be able to find what you need.
To avoid such a situation, bring along the following items along for your trip:
- Anti-motion sickness pills
- Any medication you might need
- Sunblock and toiletries
- Mosquito repellent
- Enough clothes (breathable ones)
- Hiking shoes (if you plan to do some hikes)
- Adaptor (Socket Type G)
- Band-aids (just in case)
- Extra cash (in Ringgit!)
- Diving kit (and dive card) / snorkelling – if you have your own, it’s cheaper than hiring!
- Waterproof bags
- Something to read if the WiFi fails
Best Suited To:
- Families with elderly members or small kids with them.
- Groups of 5 -10 people.
- Those with a tight schedule.